Becoming vegan has become a lot easier over the years. There is lots of information out there, and important reasons for making the shift. But also, when it comes to tasty food, veganism has definitely caught up. For those who are thinking about transitioning to a vegan diet, here is the basic information you’ll need. So, let’s get started.
What is a Vegan Diet?
First things first: what is a vegan diet? In a nutshell, a vegan or plant-based diet is one that is void of any animal products. This includes dairy, eggs, and of course meat. Most vegans also extend this to their lifestyles choices, where they don’t use anything with leather or other animal products.
Why Follow a Vegan Diet?
There are many reasons as to why people choose a vegan diet over one with animal products. The three main reasons include:
- Ethics: for a lot of people, practicing compassion towards animals is important. While our cultural practices have normalized the killing of animals, for a lot of people, this is cruel and unjust.
- Sustainability: Increasingly, people are turning away from animal products, and reducing their consumption of meat and dairy because of the impact the industry has on our planet. The meat and dairy industry seriously strains our planet, using up resources such as land and water. With the population we have today, the way we consume animal products just isn’t feasible.
- Health: A lot of people turn to a whole-foods plant-based diet because of health reasons. Companies have long pushed for the idea that the meat and dairy industry promote health, and today, more than ever these myths have been debunked.
How to Follow a Vegan Diet?
With all the information and possibilities out there, becoming vegan has never been so easy and so delicious! A healthy and complete vegan diet incorporates whole grains, pulses, fruit, and vegetables. There are loads of tasty and convenient options out there.
For breakfast, think about oats or toast with nut butter! Protein Smoothies and fruit are also a great addition to your breakfasts or as snacks. Lentil soups, stews, hummus sandwiches, bowls, and pasta are just a few amazing options to get you through the week.
Our Top 3 Tips
- Instead of thinking that becoming vegan is a restriction, think about all the possibilities and the abundance of food that is available to you!
- One of the most important things to remember when switching to a vegan diet is to supplement. B12 is a must for anyone who goes vegetarian or vegan, so get your hands on some!
- Remember, there are always alternatives. You don’t have to give up your favorite meals because you’ve adopted a plant-based diet. All you have to do is swap the meat for a cruelty-free option! Go on and enjoy that creamy pasta by switching to non-dairy alternatives.
There you have it! Everything you need to know about becoming vegan. On to you now: comment below to share your experiences with vegan dishes, and tell us all about your favorite plant-based meals.