Hello to all my candle lovers out there. Did you know that the average off-the-counter candle is filled with toxins and chemicals that pollute the air you breathe? These pollutants and chemicals directly impact your health and well being. The good news is that you don’t have to give up your love for candles. You just have to start reading labels so that you have the knowledge and awareness to choose the right products for you and your family. Sure, there are candles that are a total no-no – but there are also healthy, eco-friendly and natural candles alternatives that you can choose from.
But first, let’s talk about the chemicals and toxins we all need to avoid.
The nasty stuff hidden in your candle
As one of our favourite bloggers, Wellness Mama reminds us, “Most candles are made of paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (both are known carcinogens). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes. On top of that, many scented candles also have wicks that contain heavy metals like lead, and even a few hours of burning them can create levels of airborne heavy metals that are much higher than the acceptable limits. In the US, candle wicks are supposed to be made of cotton or paper, but studies have found that as much as 30% of candles contain heavy metals in wicks.”
And before we begin to talk about the natural candles as the alternative to off-the-counter ones, let’s actually go through some of the chemicals and ingredients you’re bound to find.
- Paraffin is the main ingredient you’ll find in most candles. Now, what is paraffin? Paraffin is from the petroleum industry and it releases carcinogenic chemicals when you burn it. And when you burn your candle, the chemicals released into the air can be as dangerous as second-hand smoking.
- Two of the most toxic chemicals benzene and toluene are also produced when we burn candles. Benzene can cause cancer and toluene affects the central nervous system.
- Artificial scents and colors are often toxic and can cause allergies.
- There are also loads of chemicals such as (but not limited to): Acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Trichloroethene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol, Cyclopentene – and these are often found in the paraffin mixture.
- And of course, as mentioned above, don’t forget the wick of the candle that is not always made from cotton and paper and instead have heavy metals in them.
Now, why take all these risks and expose ourselves to such dangerous chemicals in an attempt to make our space warm and homey? The good news is that there are healthy, ecofriendly and natural candles that can bring you and your loved ones exactly the kind of ambiance you need – without all the toxins and chemicals.
What do we mean when we say natural candles?
When we talk about healthier and natural candles, we mean ones that use cotton or paper wicks (as they should by US guidelines). Scented candles are also another issue, as they often use artificial ingredients to make your home smell “fresh.” But the reality is that you’re spreading pollutants. A good alternative is either to go for unscented candles or ones that use essential oils to bring your home and space warmth and freshness. The candles should also use soy, beeswax, hemp oil, coconut oil or any combination of natural ingredients rather than paraffin.
If you’re looking for a natural and aromatic way to give your home the boost it needs, then you’ve come to the right place. Be sure to check out the wide range of natural candles we’ve got. All made with love and ethics in mind, to give you and your home exactly what it needs.
What goes into our candles?
What’s so great about our candles? Well, let’s go through it together. Take for example our Votive Candles.
When it comes to fragrances and scents, we look for them in nature – from pure flowers and plant essences that have the power to soothe, heal and protect. These all-natural candles are made with 100% essential oils. Instead of most candles (that use paraffin), these natural alternatives are made with an all-vegetable virgin wax blend that contains no residues of harmful solvents. And of course, the wicks are made from cotton and paper, so no heavy metals to worry about.
Another great thing is that we’ve got a huge range of candle types. So whether you’re into votive candles, or tea light candles – maybe you like jar candles – how about pillar candles? You name it and we’ve got it. The most important thing is that they all follow the same guidelines that ensure you and the planet are safe and in good hands.
So go on and give one a try.