Doing bodyweight exercises means that you can avoid the gym and everything that comes with it. You can use your body in so many ways to ensure that you get an awesome workout in. No equipment needed.
Bodyweight Exercises: Pros
So what consists of bodyweight exercises? In a nutshell, anything that uses your body weight as resistance to train, tone, and strengthens counts as a bodyweight exercise.
There are many benefits to leaving behind big gyms and heavy equipment. Here are some of our faves:
- Cost: gyms and equipment can be super pricey. Avoiding high membership fees can really help in the long run.
- Convenience: you have your body with you no matter where you are. If you travel a lot, you can always count on basic moves such as push-ups and squats to keep you fit. And of course, you can always workout from the comfort of your own home.
- Sustainability: Gyms (especially massive commercial ones) use a lot of energy and resources, generating a lot of waste. By doing your own workouts, using your own body, you really cut back from all that waste. To learn more, check out our top favorite low-carbon workouts.
- Rewarding: no one will ever tell you that exercises such as pull-ups and push-ups are easy! Handling your own body weight is a great indicator of strength, and using your own body promotes functional strength that will not only have you looking great but also will come to your aid in life! So go on and set those goals to get started on your fitness journey.
- Fun: it’s exciting to see what positions you can hold your body in! Imagine the journey towards a handstand. All you need is a wall, some music, and your body – it’s never a dull moment.
- Diverse: one of the best things about bodyweight exercise is that it comes in many different forms to meet your interests and fitness level. Whether you’re into yoga or want to give calisthenics a try, the equipment-free world offers a lot of opportunities.
Where to start
You don’t need to start with the hardest calisthenics moves to benefit from bodyweight exercise. There are so many basic moves that can really help you get into shape. It’s all about the basics. But don’t forget, it’s about doing the basics well – with proper form. You can always intensify your routine by adding more reps, less rest time and more sets.
Ranging from calisthenics to plyometric, here are some of the best exercises to help you get started. You can take these moves everywhere, which means you can’t make any excuses.
- If you’re a beginner, you can always start out by working on your core and overall strength with squats, lunges, and planks.
- If you’re already feeling pretty fit, and want something more intense, then push-ups, pull-ups, and dips are a great way to build upper body strength. For lower body, you can always add intensity to your squats and lunges by doing them in jump form.
- Burpees are another full body exercise that gets you doing cardio and builds strength.
- Don’t forget about the core: mountain climbers, side planks, and bridge pose will help you get much stronger.
There are loads you can do to improve your fitness sans equipment. Bodyweight exercises have so many amazing benefits, and can sure get you feeling fit and strong. On to you now: what are your favorite moves? And once you’ve finished your workout, don’t forget to fuel your recovery with an organic, vegan protein shake.